From Bollywood films on the Thames to vox pop news reports in the Market Place, Kingston has been used for decades as a film and TV location.
If it’s a court scene on tv or in a British film then it is quite likely to have been filmed in County Hall, Kingston-upon-Thames. County Hall, the home of Surrey County Council opened in November 1893 and houses a formidable court room complete with cells and exercise yard. Apart from a few small additions by past film crews, the court room remains in its original state and as real trials ceased in the 1990s, it makes an ideal film location.
Filmed at County Hall, Kingston:
- The Wrong Mans 2013 with Mathew Banyon and James Corden:Final episode carpark scenes outside County Hall.
- Vera Drake: youtu.be/LA-ZEwsRDI0 from 4:38 to 8:30
- Midsomer Murders
- Silk: All 3 series youtube.com/watch?v=t0U6lMT-46w
- Call the Midwife youtu.be/OWOrhAZh5Cs
- The Bill
- Ashes to Ashes
- Jonathan Creek
- Midsomer Murders
- BBC Criminal Justice 2009
- EastendersLegend (Kray twins 2014/15)
- Top Boy
- Remake of Birds of a Feather (posh hotel scene)
- 102 dalmatians
- Keeping Mum: 2005 comedy film starring Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas
- Catherine Tate: Rights for Gingers roof protest scene.
- Downton Abbey (Vera Bates murder trial)
- The Nazi Titanic – documentary 2012
- Silent Witness
Never Never: Film with John Simm Old bank in Kingston Hill at the cafe Rouge roundabout.
The Apprentice: Market place 2009. Selling Bagels
Morrisons: Christmas advert Christmas 2011. The one with the Ferris wheel and Freddie Flintoff.
Miranda: Market Square fountains August 2012
June 08 Mr Bean TV series:
Exterior of Mr Bean’s flat in Kings Charles Road Surbiton
Market Square, The shoe shop scene where he wants to buy a single shoe.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince November 2012
Surbiton Station and Cafe Nero in high street. Youtube video
Men Behaving Badly
Outdoor scenes in front of Ellerton Road Surbiton
The 2008 series of Primeval, shown on ITV1 in January, featured almost an entire episode filmed inside the Bentall Centre and John Lewis department stores. Kingston featured in Primeval again in May 2009 with several scenes shot in and around the Market Place.
Criminal: film 2014/15 staring Kevin Costner, Ryan Reynolds, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones. Scenes filmed in Kings Road next to Kingston Gate entrance to Richmond Park.
Partners in Crime, Agatha Christie: Summer 2015. The house of Tommy and Tuppence is in Oak Hill Crescent, Surbiton.
Contrary to the popular assumption that The Good Life was filmed in Surbiton, it was actually filmed in Kewferry Road, Northwood. Surbiton was the first choice but they couldn’t find anyone willing to have their garden dug up.
Know of any more? Please post below.