Fun, self-drive boats are coming to Kingston upon Thames from Saturday 11th May
With no boating experience necessary, GoBoat gives you first-hand access to a stunning section of London’s river Thames.
Based at by Kingston Bridge, Riverside Walk Riverside, you can charter your own electric picnic boat without the need for a licence. The friendly GoBoat crew will give customers a boating handover ensuring they are fully equipped to drive their very own electric picnic boat.
The ride is a casual 3 ½ knots, approximately 4mph, the perfect cruising speed for a lazy waterways journey. Designated captains will be given a map to help navigate their way; the route will go up river as far as Hampton Court Palace [Molesey Lock] and all the way down river to Teddington Lock.
Each boat has seating around a central table creating a sociable space ideal for groups of friends, colleagues, families with kids and even dogs are welcome on board. It makes a great date activity too – passengers are encouraged to bring their own picnic and bubbly, and GoBoat will provide cosy blankets if the weather turns chilly.
GoBoats are powered by an almost silent electric motor, an eco-friendlier alternative to petrol engines. The deck and table are made from sustainably sourced forestry wood and the foam kernel is made of 80 per cent recycled PET – the equivalent of 600 plastic bottles.
A one-hour trip starts at £59 Monday to Friday and £79 at weekends and bank holidays, which between eight friends is less than a cinema ticket. The activity is proving to be so popular that GoBoat is already taking advance bookings online for their fleet of four boats.
- GoBoat UK is open 7 days a week, 9am until dusk. Based at Riverside Walk in Kingston (4 boats)
- Prices start at £59 for 1 hour, £89 for two hours and £119 for three hours. A three-hour journey is recommended for the most complete experience.
- 8 people can comfortably fit into a GoBoat
- Children and dogs are very welcome on GoBoats - a maximum of 8 “persons” per boat
- All children will be fitted with life jackets.
- Alcohol can be consumed on the boat, but the captain must always remain sober
- Boats go at a max speed of 4mph / 3 ½ knots and have GPS trackers on board in case of any emergencies
- Customers don’t need a licence to drive, but will be provided with a full safety briefing and driving instructions on how to control the boat before the adventure starts as well as having life jackets on board
GoBoat’s first UK location is at Merchant Square, Paddington Basin (16 boats)(Grand Union and Regent’s Canals). Both sites are open seven days a week from 9am until dusk. Book online